When Ashgabat was under Russian rule, the number of Bahá'ís in the city rose to over 1,000, and a Bahá'í community was established, with its own schools, medical facilities and cemetery.The community elected one of the first Bahá'í local administrative institutions.After receiving some support (but even more promises) from General Malleson, the British withdrew in April 1919 and the Tashkent Soviet resumed control of the city.
Modern construction techniques allow high-rise development (mainly 12 storeys) with relatively good protection against earthquakes.Primarily consisting of residential towers, the first floor is typically given a shopping area and a service department. The Arch of Neutrality was dismantled and re-erected in its original form in the south of the capital.The rest of the streets have larger or smaller four-digit numerical names.In 2013, the city was included in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's highest concentration of white marble buildings.There are also many foreign citizens working as diplomats or clerks in the embassies of their respective countries.
Ashgabat lends its name to the Ashgabat agreement, signed by India, Oman, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan, for creating an international transport and transit corridor facilitating transportation of goods between Central Asia and the Persian Gulf.
An estimated 7.3 on the Richter scale, the earthquake killed 110-176,000 In July 2003, all the names of streets in Ashgabat were replaced by serial numbers except nine major highways, some named after Saparmurat Niyazov, his father and mother.
The Central Palace area is designated 2000 to symbolize the beginning of the 21st century.
It was regarded as a pleasant town with European style buildings, shops, and hotels.
In 1908, the first Bahá'í House of Worship was built in Askhabat.
According to estimates of the 2012 Turkmen census the Turkmen form 85% of the city's population.